• Located at the south-western end of Rice Lake, Bewdley is a perfect stopping point for adventures of all kinds.
• Cyclists take note. The Rice Lake Ramble Cycling Route is a must-do, one of the favourite biking routes in all of Ontario! These tips come to you courtesy of Northumberland Tourism:
• Approximately 74km and comes recommended by the Toronto Bicycling Network.
• A perfect combination of a great ride (rolling hills and stunning views) with tastes of local First Nation’s culture via Alderville First Nation.
• This experience can be combined with local Bed & Breakfasts, Resorts, or other great accommodation options.
• It includes the Greenbelt Route, and you can launch from Cobourg thanks to Via Rail’s Bike Train.
• The route also takes you through the only surviving Oak Ridges Moraine old growth forest in all of Ontario.
• Get all the details from Northumberland Tourism. Please note that Bewdley is not actually on the Rice Lake Ramble, but the cycling experiences around Rice Lake are so amazing it’s worth multiple trips.
• Rice Lake Conservation Area is open from May through to mid-October and offers plenty of space for exploring nature, bird-watching, and hiking. Get more info from the Ganaraska Conservation website.
• Fishing on Rice Lake is renowned. But don’t take our word for it. Listen to local pro Chris Huskilson who has been fishing Rice Lake since he was a teenager.
“One of my favorite bodies of water to target bass is Rice Lake. This particular body of water contains both species in great numbers and trophy size. Smallmouth bass reaching 6lbs are not unheard of and largemouth bass in the 7lb class do exist as well!”
“By mid-May, when the Walleye have finished their spawn, they can be found in numbers in weed clumps or pockets out at the mouth of the tributaries they have spawned in. I spend a great deal of time on Rice Lake during this period utilizing a few key techniques to catch a boat load of fish. 30-50 fish days are not uncommon! With plenty of over and slot limit sized fish.”
• Check out our Trip Planner to find great options for resorts and cottages near Bewdley and all around Rice Lake.
• You can also find more information from the Rice Lake Tourist Association.
• Whether you’re cycling, or boating, or road tripping through Bewdley, Rhino’s Roadhouse is your stop for great pub grub. There’s a playground for kids right across the street too!
• Just 6km north of Bewdley on County Road 28 is Doo Doo’s Bakery, where you can get some award-winning butter tarts and other tasty baked goods! Doo Doo’s is one of over 50 stops on the Butter Tart Tour.